TwoNav Sportiva, durability

Garmin fenix 7X und epix Gen 2 im Test

Der Schwerpunkt dieses Tests und Vergleichs der Garmin Fenix 7X Solar und Garmin Epix Gen 2 liegt auf den Sensoren wie Höhenmesser, Positionsbestimmung und Herzfrequenz. Was unterscheidet die beiden GPS-Outdoor-Smartwatches? Und wie gut ist die Taschenlampe der Fenix 7X für den Outdoorbereich? Hier geht es zum Test der Outdoor-Smartwatches ...
  • After two years of quite intense, but mosty "city and light terrain" use of TwoNav Sportiva I can point out its weak points.

1. Software
    - if you remove batteries unexpectedly it can cause complete loss of system files and return to pure Win CE (complete loss of TwoNav system - which hurts if you don't have notebook)!

2. Hardware
    (a) rear cover plastic lock was broken (as an effect of changing batteries quite often)
    (b) green cover (made of gum) came unglued (close to right button and - later on - on whole right hand side) - this problem is somehow similar to my previous Garmin eTrex Vista HCx unit.

and (c) - pure speculation - as for now I use bike holder succesfully (it is perfect), but every time I demount it, I have doubt if the plastic wouldn't be broken...-

Anyway, it's great unit, but - in comparison to Garmin - IMO it is more gentle and more vurnerable to harsh conditions...

What about your experiences with TwoNav?

• Hello Marek,
    I'm glad that I have not experienced the loss of system files.
    But 2a) and 2b) are really problems of the Sportiva which I had, too.
    I have already broken 2 back covers and the green cover is in process of dissolution.

If you contact your dealer or Compe directly you maybe will get new parts without extra costs.

A combination of the Sportiva with a device built like my Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (which is very robust, but a little bit large) would be great!

Greetings
    Werner

Garmin Fenix 6X Pro + GPSMap 66s + 60CSx + eTrex, Motorola One, Trail2, Aventura, Horizon, Sportiva
    QuoVadis QVX, 7 PU, TTQV 4 PU, CompeGPS Land 8, TwoNav Android, Locus Map Pro

• Hi Marek,

Compared to my(now sold)60csx, especially the casting of the Sportiva looks a bit more vulnerable.

In fact in 2 years usage 2 times the battery compartments cover had broken but i always got within a few days replacements for free.

For the disolving of rubber on the right side of casting either contact your dealer or CompeGPS.

But it's first time i hear that a full lost of installed Twonavsoftware happens because of simple pulling the battery.

• Datenschutz ist uns & Euch wichtig, daher verzichten wir auf Bannerwerbung & Web-Analysetools! Um das Forum zu unterstützen, bitten wir Euch, über diesen Link: bei Amazon zu bestellen....
    Für Euch ist das nur ein Klick, uns hilft es das Forum langfristig und werbefrei für Euch zu betreiben!
    Alternativ sehr gerne auch per Paypal spenden.
    Vielen, vielen Dank ...

• A combination of the Sportiva with a device built like my Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (which is very robust, but a little bit large) would be great!

:tup: agreed. A nice robust case with a few more buttons (especially a dedicated power button), an antenna that does not have to compete with the screen, battery and circuit board, plus a nice system to attach the unit anywhere (rucksack, belt,...) would kill most of the current weaknesses.

• Hi Werner!

If you contact your dealer or Compe directly you maybe will get new parts without extra costs.

I agree! I received back cover for free!!! :tup: for Compe team!

...the green cover is in process of dissolution.

The simple cyanoacrylate glue works just fine in my case.

I'm glad that I have not experienced the loss of system files.

It happened for me when I made a reset not by pressing the right button for ~25 seconds, but - IT WAS MISTAKE - by removing batteries several times.
    Anyway, I was totally surprised when I lost all content of the internal disc.

Regards,
    Marek

P.S. I wonder what do you think about bike holder? Isn't it too gentle for unexpected break when demounting the unit? Original Garmin plastic which is close to handlebar seems for me a bit better solution...

• plus a nice system to attach the unit anywhere (rucksack, belt,...) would kill most of the current weaknesses.

Hi,
    the snap link and the belt clip of the Garmin work with the Sportiva, too:
    www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00030F7I2
    www.amazon.de/Garmin-Halterung-Gürtelclip-Geko-Fam/dp/B0001RM4I8

On the backside of the Sportiva is a thread fitting to these so on my hiking tours I attach the Sportiva with (one of) those to my backpack.

Greetings
    Werner

Garmin Fenix 6X Pro + GPSMap 66s + 60CSx + eTrex, Motorola One, Trail2, Aventura, Horizon, Sportiva

• Datenschutz ist uns & Euch wichtig, daher verzichten wir auf Bannerwerbung & Web-Analysetools! Um das Forum zu unterstützen, bitten wir Euch, über diesen Link: bei Amazon zu bestellen....
    Für Euch ist das nur ein Klick, uns hilft es das Forum langfristig und werbefrei für Euch zu betreiben!
    Vielen, vielen Dank ...
  • I wonder what do you think about bike holder? Isn't it too gentle for unexpected break when demounting the unit? Original Garmin plastic which is close to handlebar seems for me a bit better solution...

Hi Marek,
    you're talking about the original bike holder?
    Yes it doesn't seem to be very robust. I didn't use it very often but it worked (I didn't try to break it :D).
    I have another holder from Touratech for my 60CSx. It wasn't very cheap but it is really good and robust. You cannot compare both holders.

Greetings
    Werner

• P.S. I wonder what do you think about bike holder? Isn't it too gentle for unexpected break when demounting the unit? Original Garmin plastic which is close to handlebar seems for me a bit better solution...

Nach über 2 Jahren des Gebrauches konnte ich so etwas nicht feststellen.
    Einzig die Halte/Release-Lasche ist abgebrochen. Dies beeinträchtigt aber die Brauchbarkeit der Halterung nicht.

Für den normalen Toureneinsatz reicht die Standard Sportiva-Halterung völlig aus.
    Da ich den Winkel zumindest in einer Ebene leicht einstellen kann, kann ich schnell auf Änderungen des Lichteinfalls reagieren.
    Da das Craddle RAM-Mount kompatibel ist sind auch andere Varianten machbar.

Flacher baut wohl die mitgelieferte Halterung des Sportiva+ und bietet somit evtl. weniger Angriffsfläche im Falle eines Sturzes( je nach Anbringungsstelle).

Der Gürtel-Clip meines EX-60cxer(baugleich dem von Werner verlinkten!?)hat in der Tat funktioniert.

• The problem with those is to find a bolt with a metric screw. And the complete mechanism isn't very reliable either. I can tell. I had a 60CSx for several years :). Currently I use this:

http://www.amazon.de/Garmin-Ha…rex-Familie/dp/B000L36E2E

The best compromise I found so far. However the rubber straps go across the buttons at the side :( It's a bit of a pity that neither CompeGPS nor Holux care about a decent retaining system.

Vielen, vielen Dank ...