TwoNav Cross Plus schwacher GPS-Signalempfang im Haus/Auto/Zug

Garmin fenix 7X und epix Gen 2 im Test

Der Schwerpunkt dieses Tests und Vergleichs der Garmin Fenix 7X Solar und Garmin Epix Gen 2 liegt auf den Sensoren wie Höhenmesser, Positionsbestimmung und Herzfrequenz. Was unterscheidet die beiden GPS-Outdoor-Smartwatches? Und wie gut ist die Taschenlampe der Fenix 7X für den Outdoorbereich? Hier geht es zum Test der Outdoor-Smartwatches ...
  • Dear colleagues,

I noticed that my TwoNav Cross Plus has very weak GPS signal reception inside the house/car/train. The Garmin receives the GPS signal much faster in the same locations.

So far, I did not noticed any problems with GPS reception of the TwoNav Cross Plus outside - what's more, outside the GPS reception of the TwoNav Cross Pus is even better than Garmin.

It's strange, isn't it?

Liebe Kolleginnen und Kollegen,

ich habe festgestellt, dass mein TwoNav Cross Plus im Haus/Auto/Zug einen sehr schwachen GPS-Empfang hat. Das Garmin empfängt das GPS-Signal an den gleichen Stellen viel schneller.

Im Außenbereich sind mir bisher keine Probleme mit dem GPS-Empfang des TwoNav Cross Plus aufgefallen - im Außenbereich ist der GPS-Empfang des TwoNav Cross Pus sogar besser als bei Garmin.

Es ist seltsam, nicht wahr?

Grüße,

Marek

• Afaik has the Cross plus a very sensitive GPS receiver which doesn't like other radio signals, even the ones coming from the same device. Do you use bluetooth and wifi more often in the aformentioned situations?

TwoNav Cross, Trail2, Sportiva (3.2.7 Papaluna Edition), Ultra (3.3.4 Special Edition) - stillgelegt: auf Loox N110, Evadeo X50,
    Grüsse, Uwe

• That's true. Nevertheless, in my "indoor" test I keep all other radios: BT and Wi-Fi switched off.

That's not a big deal, but I am just curious why the GPS is so hard to get and also the GPS signal vanishes immediatelylty when I enter the car/train/building... In the case of Garmin I can still rely on GPS signal at least inside the car and the train - TwoNav requires to be so close to the window...

Maybe, it is somehow connected with the bulit-in anthenna position (?)...

Edit #2:

In my case, the GPS signal vanishes immediately under even small bridge, tunnel, etc.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von wmarek1974 ()

• Datenschutz ist uns & Euch wichtig, daher verzichten wir auf Bannerwerbung & Web-Analysetools! Um das Forum zu unterstützen, bitten wir Euch, über diesen Link: bei Amazon zu bestellen....
    Für Euch ist das nur ein Klick, uns hilft es das Forum langfristig und werbefrei für Euch zu betreiben!
    Alternativ sehr gerne auch per Paypal spenden.
    Vielen, vielen Dank ...
  • Mine is a Cross (without the +). I do have GPS fix near the window and in the car too. It is compared to Sportiva much better and comparable to my phone. Small bridges should be an obstacle, there is so much reflection etc.. Train is most certainly dependend on the windows coating of the particular train. I guess that is also dependend on the firmware of the gps chip and how it takes the course into account of the calculation of the next point ... we don't know all the secret tricks of the trade.

TwoNav Cross, Trail2, Sportiva (3.2.7 Papaluna Edition), Ultra (3.3.4 Special Edition) - stillgelegt: auf Loox N110, Evadeo X50,
    Grüsse, Uwe

• What firmware version have you got?

I have 5.5.2.

Though, it is generaly fine, I noticed strange behaviour in particular cases, such as:

a. poor GPS reception inside,

and others:

b. no trackattack,

c. no switches to course points when navigation along the course...

I have done several tests and with comparison to Garmin Etrex 30x.

It is evident that my TwoNav Cross Plus is extremely sensitive to any physical barriers (even glass window) and immediately looses GPS signal once the window is closed.

# edit: I have already reported firmware version 5.5.2 at the Compe GPS (TwoNav) website.

Regards,

Marek

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von wmarek1974 ()

• Actually I own 3 Cross devices, with firmware 5.06, 5.30 and 5.53.

There is not significant difference between those devices regarding the gps reception.

Grüsse, Uwe

• Datenschutz ist uns & Euch wichtig, daher verzichten wir auf Bannerwerbung & Web-Analysetools! Um das Forum zu unterstützen, bitten wir Euch, über diesen Link: bei Amazon zu bestellen....
    Für Euch ist das nur ein Klick, uns hilft es das Forum langfristig und werbefrei für Euch zu betreiben!
    Vielen, vielen Dank ...
  • TERRA 5.5.3 From inside my apartment ; window available

(TERRA 5.5.3 innerhalb meiner Wohnung; Fenster vorhanden)

Grundsätzlich muss ich nach mehreren Monaten der Nutzung festhalten, das mein CROSS alles in allem präziser zu sein scheint. Soweit die Empfangsbedingungen ohne besondere Schwierigkeiten sind, sind die Unterschiede gering, wobei auch TERRA da schon mal besser zu liegen scheint. Der TERRA zeigt jedoch immer wieder plötzlich auftretende deutlich Abweichungen von mehr als 20m. Er fängt sich dann wieder recht schnell, trotzdem nicht schön.

(

Basically, after several months of use, I have to say that my CROSS seems to be more precise all in all. As far as the reception conditions are without particular difficulties, the differences are small, although TERRA also seems sometimes to be better. The TERRA shows however again and again suddenly appearing clearly deviations of more than 20m. He then catches again quite quickly, but still not nice.

)

• Here is mine - GPS + GLONASS in both cases.

What's weird that Garmin Etrex 30 gets and holds fix immediately, whereas Cross Plus endlessely acquire sattelite system (the same sattelites are recognized: No. 10, 21, 32, and 88, but only eTrex 30x gets a fix). Opening the window solves the situation (both units shows almost the same accuracy).

Maybe there is not that much a problem with GPS reception, but rather with the GPS fix (both: cold fix and hot fix).

I have tried several things: erasing gps.ini, downloading fresh A-GPS, switching off all the radios: BT and Wi-fi.

TwoNav fimware version is already fresh installed: 5.5.3.

Vielen, vielen Dank ...
  • Does anybody know if Garmin is making use of receiving any additional AGPS /GNS signal to get an initial fix, under difficult conditions as like inside an appartment, in a tunnel, etc.? As the results of satellite caption in those situations is quite more efficient in Garmin devices, I would guess, that it's like that. According to the latest5.3.3 update on the TwoNav devices, they're trying to achieve those Garmin results by triggering AGPS signal reception more efficiently. I am really curious, if that makes any noticeable difference now... (unfortunately, I will have to wait until my Terra is coming back from a repair issue...).

• I only noticed that when the GPS fix is received "under sky" (outside), it is a little bit better to get fix inside, on the window's sill.

Also, at train is good to seat next to the "emergency window" which is bigger, and probably made from different glass than the others - at least in my case it worked today.

Edit:

To summarize: the unit shall be turned on and receive the GPS fix outdoors, otherwise (indoor) we may wait for the GPS fix endlessly.

Edit 2:

In my case (southern Poland), the best choise is GPS+Beidou and the GPS fix problem seems to be solved.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von wmarek1974 ()